Products & Customers
Forestry Tasmania supplies more than 50 customers with over 1.4 million tonnes of forest products each year.
Forestry Tasmania’s harvesting operations are focused on producing high quality sawlog, veneer logs and peeler logs – we try to maximise overall value recovery and minimise the production of lower value residue products (e.g. wood that is subsequently chipped for paper production).
Forestry Tasmania is a Tasmanian Government Business Enterprise responsible under State legislation for:
- sustainably managing approximately 800,000 hectares of public production forest (Permanent Timber Production Zone land)
- undertaking forest operations for the production and sale of forest products from these forests (including making available at least 137,000 cubic metres of high quality eucalypt sawlogs and veneer logs per annum)
Forestry Tasmania's vision is to be recognised for its sustainable forest management of Tasmania’s public production forests, and as a commercially viable supplier oyf wood to a strong Tasmanian forest industry.
Forestry Tasmania’s sustainable forest management performance is currently independently audited and certified against the requirements of three voluntary certification standards:
- Australian Forestry Standard (AS 4708)
- Environmental Management Systems (AS/NZS 14001)
- Occupational Health and Safety Systems (AS 4801)
These certifications provide customers and stakeholders with an assurance that Forestry Tasmania’s management systems underpinning compliance with standards are operating effectively. Forestry Tasmania is also currently seeking Forest Management Certification under the Forest Stewardship Council®.